As I said last week, I handwaved March and vowed to get myself together in April. Unfortunately, my body decided that it was not done being sick and that I was going to have a clogged sinus valve of some kind that left my eye pussing for three days and a constant pressure system roaring in my skull. Luckily my sinuses got their crap over with quickly, and I was (mostly) back on my feet by April 1st.
So I’m feeling pretty good. I’ve made strides on some projects. I also got to feel the validation of a few completed tasks as well. That always does my motivation good.
- The Shadow of Saturn: I need to write 50k words this month to finish my first draft, which is basically NaNoWriMo. And hey, it happens to be camp NaNoWriMo this month, so maybe I should sign up! I’ve already logged 1200 words, and pretty much have to write 2000 words , 6 days a week, to keep up with this goal. No easy feat, but not impossible either. When I wrote the first draft of Paradisa, I was pushing out about 3600 words a day. Hard to believe I ever managed that!
- Video Business: Almost done with the website. Need to order business cards this week, and make a couple demo reels. I was randomly shooting things with my new DSLR and can hopefully compile that footage into a sizzle reel.
- Animation/Webseries: So, I haven’t spoken much about this, because I don’t like to talk about projects that are only in the idea stage. And this was a project that, despite my excitement, seemed too ambitious for my skill set. However, I have officially moved past the “in my head” stage to the “I have actually accomplished a kernel of possibility”, and I’m ready to start track this project officially ^_^ Having downloaded Fallout 4 on PC this weekend and leafed through its resource files, as well as tinkering in Source Filmmaker, Silo 2, and the Unity/Cry/Unreal engines, the idea of doing a fanseries is actually within reach…because as much as I’ve moved on to original properties, you can’t take the fandom out of the fangirl :P. More on this later, but I’ll spend most of this month trying out various programs and reassembling a few of the game assets in them. Maybe by the end of the summer, I’ll have a proof of concept together to show off to the fanbase.
- Indie MoCap: I let this slip last week because of my illness, but I tried out Twitter Promotion and gained 25 followers over the weekend – much more than I anticipated. Not sure it was worth the money, but I guess it was a worthy experiment.
- Kindle Shorts: Changed my keywords again for Book #1, as sales slipped again. You can check out my first monthly report here, where I break down stuff that worked and stuff that didn’t. I finished Book #2 yesterday, so I’ll publish that early this week.
- Reading: I’m halfway through Rollback, so maybe I’ll get to 4 or 5 books this month.
Just need to catch up on Dead Air, Paradisa, and the two short stories I plan on writing this month. I still want to make that Cecil B. Demille story happen. I just don’t know where I’m going to go with it.
Cheers to a good April, folks!