Yesterday, I sent out my Christmas list to my immediate family. Yeah, I know, I’m probably too old for a Christmas list. But it’s a good way to clear up any confusion about what’s missing from my book/dvd/video game shelf, etc. I try to avoid getting those sorts of things for people unless I’m positive my gift won’t be a duplicate.
Several of my requests were books and other things a writer may enjoy…
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood – I don’t know much about this book. I’ve just heard that it’s a classic and it’s kind of terrifying.
- Anything by H.P. Lovecraft – so I can study up on my Cthulhu mythos
- Anything by Philip K. Dick – so I can study up on how to write science fiction
- How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff –
because it’s sort of similar to Figments*
- S by J.J. Abrams – because I love books that are a metafictional work of art
- Scrivener writing software – because Carrie Rubin made me do it!
* EDIT – Just realized that the book I meant to ask for was More Than This by Patrick Ness. That’s what I get from just going off the top of my Good Reads list. Also, I just accidentally asked for an incest book for Christmas, YAY.
I almost put on The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero, because I think Tommy Wiseau is an alien and I want to study him in a lab….but I don’t want to have to wait two months to get that book. I will probably buy it between now and then :P
Thoughts on my list? Any writer/reader goodies you’re looking forward to this Christmas? Any that you’re giving?
ANNNND Obligatory NaNo Update: Yet again, I lagged behind my word count. Only wrote 1000 words. I had a glass of wine with dinner, which was a mistake, because I always get headaches with wine and by 9:15 I was like “I am exhausted and my head hurts, I want bed.”
No matter. I’m comfortable taking this at my own pace. Gives time for the dust to settle. Truly, when I get to writing on this story, the word count jacks up in minutes. I still feel reasonably confident that the 50k will happen by the end of the month without any sort of organized pace. I’m just trying to write every day, although I’m going to put in some extra effort tonight and maybe get to 2500 words.
How strange for me, to not have a detailed plan.