No, I’m not being ironic. I am curious about your literal Zodiac sign, and how it might relate to your writer personality!
Sure, I’m a lady of science and reason, so I don’t normally subscribe to astrology. But as a spot-on Pisces, it does pique my curiosity. And it’s fun! My boyfriend Austin is also a textbook Libra – probably the most even-tempered and “balanced” person I’ve ever met – although my dad doesn’t live up to the Libra description much. Unless, technically, we consider his black and white extremes balanced!
I’ve heard that Pisces is the best sign for artists to be born under, because it’s the sign with the most creativity. Sure, that’s true for me, but there are obviously artists and writers born under every sign. Here’s my totally unskilled interpretation – based on sign summaries from http://www.psychicguild.com – through the lens of a writer. I want to hear what your sign is and how it may influence your art :D Am I getting warm with these predictions, or am I way off?
- Aries (March 21 – April 19): Aries are leaders, do-ers, adventurers. But one of the things fueling their aggressive approach to life is their constant capacity to hope. They believe that things will “always get better” and they make that a reality. No dream or challenge is too big. I’m not sure what to make of their creative side, but an Aries writer probably has a great chance of success because of their nonstop determination.
- Taurus (April 20 – May 20): The Taurus is all about security and planning. While they may seem social, most of their feelings are locked inside and they dislike change. They’re stubborn when it comes to advice they don’t want to hear, which probably makes them handle rejection or naysayers well! Due to their withdrawn emotive nature, they may also use writing to express pent-up feelings – making their work particularly sensual and deep. I imagine that their obsession with planning ahead may make them “plotters” rather than “pantsers.”
- Gemini (May 21 – June 20): Geminis are eager to learn and experience new things. They have a “Jack of all trades” personality and they may be adept in multiple spheres. They’re also very talkative and are sometimes known to be writers or experts in foreign language. Overall, they’re very multidimensional creatures. They’re probably the type of writer who can cross genres, write non-fiction, and always have a new idea for a book.
- Cancer (June 21 – July 22): Eccentric, erratic, and a walking contradiction. They can have a tough outer shell with a soft inside. They’re very focused on romantic relationships, which might spark an interest in romance writing for them. They seem a bit similar to the Taurus to me, but I think Cancers yo-yo to even more extremes.
- Leo (July 23 – August 22): Leos are best at commitment, but they’re also full of charisma, social skills, and a good attitude. They’ve got a bit of an ego and a longing for fame, which could help or hinder their path to writing success. They don’t take critique well…but their strong will can tear down all obstacles in their path.
- Virgo (August 23 – September 22): Virgos are one of the most empathetic signs, which is an essential skill in the writer’s toolbox. Virgos are compassionate, never cynical, and creative. I think if all this is true, Virgos would write the most realistic, likeable characters because they understand the human soul so well.
- Libra (September 23 – October 22): Librans are down to Earth and have obtainable dreams. They go with the flow, and their passions are quiet and easy to please. The Libran writer is one who isn’t concerned about fame or even publication – they write simply because they love it.
- Scorpio (October 23 – November 21): Scorpios, like Aries and Leo, are determined to triumph. This is the sign of the wise “old soul,” the passionate, enigmatic, and powerful people who almost always win. A writer with the passion of a Scorpio cannot be stopped, and their talent probably comes effortlessly.
- Sagittarius (November 22 – December 21): Sagittarians want to change the world for the better. They’re optimistic, loving, and free-spirited. I could easily see a Sagittarian writing a world-altering nonfiction book, a travel memoir, or an experimental work of metafiction. And if they ever soared to fame, I doubt it would go to their heads.
- Capricorn (December 22 – January 19): Capricorns seek admiration and achievement, but often never realize when they’ve “made it.” Each effort is more and more extreme, higher and higher, more grand and risky. They’re the best organized and the hardest workers, which make them the workhorses of the literary world. They’re the writers who can probably knock out a novel in 12 days.
- Aquarius (January 20 – February 18): Aquarians are the star children, the weirdos, the most unusual and original. For this, they often set trends, which may vote them “Most Likely To Write The Next Big Thing.” Aquarians are most likely to be famous, but they’re also most likely to end up in a mental institution….so their eccentric nature can be a gift and a curse. Their writing is probably the most bizarre and interesting – which can sometimes strike gold. (This made me curious if Chuck Palahanuik is an Aquarius – turns out, he’s born February 21, so he’s on the border. Not a shock!)
- Pisces (February 19 – March 20): Torn between different talents, the Pisces has many paths in life. They’re adaptable, but like Aquarius, they’re as likely to be criminals as they are to be millionaires. But they have a strong sense of inner world-building, which probably makes them good fantasy writers ;) They also tend to see the world in rose-colored glasses, which would make them poor at writing gritty, realistic stories without a tinted bias.
What do you think? Does any of this sound like you? Do you normally connect with your sign, but think I got your “writer personality” wrong? Hit me up in the comments!